Last week I went out for sushi and that got me thinking about making sushi at home. Although I am still a bit leery about making actual sushi at home with raw fish, that does not stop me from having a bit of fun with sushi in the form of this buffalo chicken sushi! I am totally addicted to buffalo chicken in all forms and when I came across the recipe for buffalo chicken sushi on Choosy Beggars I immediately bookmarked it to try later! This sushi contains all of the flavours of buffalo chicken wings including the buffalo chicken, blue cheese, carrots and celery all rolled up in rice and nori. Sushi is actually pretty easy to make at home and this tasty buffalo chicken sushi is definitely worth the effort! You can serve this buffalo chicken sushi with soy sauce, hot sauce or even blue cheese dressing for your dipping pleasure and I served it with a drizzle of mayo and hot sauce.
Buffalo Chicken Sushi
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Total Time: 35 minutes Servings: 24
Buffalo chicken sushi with carrots, celery, blue cheese and crumbled cheese tortilla chips.
- 1 cup rice short grain rice (sushi rice)
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 sheets nori
- 1 cup cooked shredded chicken
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- 2 ribs celery, cut into thin strips
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup cheese tortilla chips, crumbled (optional)
- Bring the water and rice to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the water has been absorbed, about 18-22 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the vinegar, sugar and salt in a pan over medium heat until the sugar and salt have dissolved, set aside and let cool.
- Spread the rice out in a large wide bowl and fold in the vinegar mixture.
- Place a sheet of nori on a sushi mat with the shiny side down and cover 3/4's of it with a thin layer of rice. Place a row of buffalo chicken, celery, carrots, blue cheese and crumbled tortilla chips down 1 inch away from the edge and roll it up. Repeat 3 more times.
- Slice the rolls into 6 pieces and enjoy!