Fried rice is one of those super quick and easy comfort food dishes that is always satisfying and I recently found myself wondering how quinoa would do in a fried rice dish. There are a lot of great fried rice dishes out there and my favourite has to be a Thai style pineapple and shrimp fried rice which is packed with amazing flavours and it seemed like the perfect candidate to be made with quinoa! I mean, you really cannot go wrong tossing some juicy, sweet and tangy pineapple along with succulent shrimp in some light and fluffy fried quinoa!
Although fried is often made with leftover rice, it is ok to make some fresh and if you are going to anyways, why not take the opportunity to add some flavour by making it with something other than water like broth or coconut milk? Once the quinoa is ready the dish starts out by cooking some shallots, garlic, ginger and mixing them into the quinoa along with an egg, the pineapple and shrimp. In typical Thai style this dish balances the salty, sour, spicy and sweet aspects nicely with fish sauce, lime juice, chilies and raisins. You can add pretty much any vegetables that you want and I went with some red pepper and peas for the colours before finishing the dish off with a healthy spoonful of curry powder! The pineapple and shrimp fried quinoa can be served in pineapple bowls and it is garnished with green onions and cilantro for freshness and chopped roasted peanuts for some crunch.
If you do not have a pineapple bowl it is great in a regular bowl as well!
Pineapple and Shrimp Fried Quinoa
A tasty Thai style shrimp and pineapple fried rice made with quinoa.
Servings: makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 cup quinoa, well rinsed
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and deviened (omit for vegetarian)
- 2 shallots, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 2+ bird eye chilies, sliced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1 cup pineapple, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg, lightly beaten (omit for vegan)
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup peanuts or cashews
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (or soy sauce for vegetarian)
- 1/2 lime, juice
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped
- Bring the quinoa, coconut milk and broth to a boil in a medium saucepan, reduce the heat and simmer covered until the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large pan over medium high heat.
- Add the shrimp, garlic, ginger, chilies, pepper and pineapple and saute until the shrimp is almost cooked, about 3 minutes.
- Add the egg and cook, stirring for a minute.
- Add the quinoa, peas, raisins, peanuts, curry powder and fish sauce and cook for 5 minutes.
- Taste test and remove from heat mixing in the lime juice, green onions and cilantro.
Thai Pineapple Fried Rice
Chicken Fried Cauliflower Rice
Thai Style Black Quinoa Salad
Thai Lemon Shrimp
Mango, Avocado and Grilled Shrimp Salad with a Peanut Dressing
Black Bean, Corn and Quinoa Picadillo Tacos