During the summer I tend to make a lot of quick breads and that is because there are so many fruits and vegetables that are available that make really good quick breads. One of my favourite summer quick breads has to be the strawberry sour cream bread which I tend to make pretty much every year! This year I was thinking that I might try lightening the recipe up a bit and the first step was to use some Greek yogurt, which is now everywhere in the grocery stores, instead of the sour cream. Next up was to try to reduce or eliminate the butter or oil and that was done by adding three over ripe bananas in addition to the yogurt to keep things nice and moist. Another great way to make quick breads a bit healthier is to use some whole wheat flour in place of regular flour and I normally replace about half of the flour with the whole wheat flour. In the end this Greek yogurt strawberry bread turned out just as good as the original sour cream version and even with the changes it was nice and moist and stayed that way for a few days before it was all gone. What a great way to enjoy a few summer breakfasts!
It goes great with melted butter for breakfast!
Strawberry Greek Yogurt Banana Bread
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes Servings: 1
A moist, light and fluffy strawberry banana bread with Greek yogurt.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 large over-ripe bananas (mashed)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Mix brown sugar, bananas, eggs, vanilla extract, yogurt and strawberries in another large bowl.
- Mix the dryy ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until golden brown and a toothpick poked into the center comes out clean, about 60 minutes.