I have really been enjoying all of the fresh, perfectly field ripened tomatoes a lot these days, especially in BLTs! I guess it was pretty much inevitable that at some point I would think about combining a BLT with a grilled cheese sandwich and this BLT grilled cheese, aka the BLTGC, is the tasty results of my wild musings! The recipe pretty much just wrote itself taking the buttered bread and cheese from the grilled cheese and the bacon, lettuce and tomato from the BLT and grilling it up until the outside is golden brown and all of the cheese has melted. For the bacon you could use either strips of whole slices and for the lettuce you could go with either whole leafs or shredded and you could use either whole tomato slices or you could dice them. One trick that I learned when using green tomatoes in sandwiches is that it is good to lightly fry them in a touch of bacon grease to warm and soften them up a bit which I applied to the tomato slices in this sandwich. I was kind of hesitant about using lettuce in a warm grilled cheese sandwich but it worked like a charm without getting nasty like lettuce can when it is cooked! I have to say that this BLT grilled cheese sandwich turned out amazingly well, easily as good as if not better than either of the sandwiches that gave it birth!
Just look at all of that melted cheese!
BLT Grilled Cheese (BLTGC)
A BLT sandwich grilled cheese style with plenty of melted cheese!
Servings: makes 1 sandwich
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 2-4 slices bacon
- 2 slices tomato
- 2 slices sour dough bread
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup lettuce, shredded
- Cook the bacon until crispy and set aside on paper towels to drain.
- Drain most of the bacon grease from the pan and fry the tomato slices for about a half a minute on each side. (optional)
- Heat a clean pan over medium heat.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread, sprinkle half of the cheese onto the unbuttered side of one slice of bread followed by the bacon, lettuce, tomato and the remaining cheese and finally top with the remaining slice of bread with the buttered side up.
- Grill over medium heat until golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 2-3 minutes per side.
Tips for making the perfect grilled cheese sandwich.
Check out The Best Grilled Cheese Sandwiches!
More BLT goodness:
Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Bacon ad Tomato Guacamole Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Sundried Tomato Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Bacon and Fried Green Tomato Pimento Grilled Cheese
Bacon Double Cheeseburger Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Sloppy Joe Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Chicken Fajita Grilled Cheese