Chicken and avocado enchilada recipes have been making their way around the food logging sphere lately like these spicy avocado chicken enchiladas on the novice chef, these chicken and avocado enchiladas on gimme some oven and these avocado cream and chicken suiza enchiladas on foodie crush and given my obsession with both Mexican cuisine and avocados it was only a matter of time until I made some of my own! For my recipe I wanted to get as much avocado into the dish as possible so I stuffed the enchiladas with big chunks of avocado in addition to using avocados in the creamy enchilada sauce. Another goal that I had with the recipe was for it to be really quick and easy to put together and if you have the salsa verde and cooked and shredded chicken on hand already then you can whip these super tasty enchiladas up in about 30 minutes!
I wanted the sauce to be as easy to make as throwing everything into a food processor and pureeing it. I went with a liquid base of chicken broth, salsa verde and sour cream in addition to the avocados to which I added some more heat with a jalapeno pepper and then I seasoned the sauce with garlic, cumin, cilantro and finally a splash of lime juice. You will notice both the salsa verde and the jalapeno pepper as sources of heat in this creamy avocado sauce so make sure that you get the level of heat to where you want it. If you do not like heat, go with a mild salsa verde and either skip the jalapeno or use a seeded jalapeno and if you like heat, go with a hot salsa verde and throw the whole jalapeno, seeds and all in.
The filling for the enchilada nice and easy consisting of chicken, avocado, green onion and plenty of cheese and then some of the creamy enchilada sauce is thrown into the mix. Once the sauce and fillings have been prepared all that remains is to assemble the enchiladas and bake them until cooked!
I knew that these chicken and avocado enchiladas in a creamy avocado sauce were going to be good but I was totally blown away by just how good they were! I am so addicted! I polished off two servings on the first night and I am already trying to figure out how soon I can get them into my meal plan again!
Chicken and Avocado Enchiladas in Creamy Avocado Sauce
Chicken and avocado enchiladas in a creamy and spicy avocado sauce.
Servings: makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or Greek yogurt)
- 2 avocados
- 1 jalapeno, coarsely chopped (remove seeds for less heat)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin, toasted and ground
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 handful cilantro
- 1/2 lime, juice
- 4 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 2 avocados, diced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 8 (7 inch) tortillas
- Puree the chicken broth, salsa verde, sour cream, avocados, jalapeno, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper, cilantro and lime juice in a blender or food processor.
- Mix the half of the sauce with the chicken, avocado, green onions and half of the cheese.
- Coat the bottom of a large baking dish with some of the remaining sauce.
- Wrap the chicken and avocado mixture in the tortillas and place them in the dish.
- Top the enchiladas with the remaining sauce and cheese and bake in a preheated 350F oven until the cheese has melted and the sides are bubbling, about 15-20 minutes.
Sweet Chili Chicken and Avocado Enchiladas
Thai Spicy Peanut Chicken Enchiladas
Mushroom and Zucchini Enchiladas
Spicy Peanut Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich (aka The Chicken Satay Melt)
Thai Grilled Chicken Satay Salad
Avocado and Goat Cheese Alfredo Pasta
Crispy Baked Avocado Fries