Sour cream, Mexican crema or if you are looking for a healthier alternative, Greek yogurt, are great condiments that can be used in all types of Mexican style dishes from tacos to burritos and beyond. Although it is super easy to just grab a spoonful of sour cream right from the container, why not take the opportunity to add more flavour to the dish by making a flavoured sour cream? With this in mind I decided to make this roasted poblano crema to go on the tacos that I was making. Poblano peppers have a mild heat that makes them perfect for something like this and roasting them mellows them out an bit and adds a nice smokiness to them. In addition to the roasted poblano peppers I added some garlic and green onion to the crema for even more flavour and some cilantro and lime juice for a bit of brightness.
Roasted Poblano Crema
A roasted poblano creama that is so creamy and refreshing with a touch of heat.
Servings: makes 1/2 cup
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 poblano pepper, cut in half and seeds removed
- 1/2 cup crema, sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1 glove garlic
- 1 green onion
- 1 handful cilantro
- 1/2 lime, juice and zest
- Place the peppers on a baking sheet with the cut side facing down.
- Place the baking sheet on the top shelf in the oven and broil until the outer layer of the skin has blackened, about 8-14 minutes.
- Place the peppers in a zip-lock bag or other sealable container, seal and let them cool until you can handle them, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the skins from the peppers. The skins should easily "pinch" off.
- Puree everything.
Caramelized Corn and Black Bean Tacos with Roast Zucchini Salsa and Roasted Poblano Crema
Corn and Black Bean Quesadillas with Roast Zucchini Salsa
Roasted Jalapeno Mayo
Chipotle Lime Mayo
Creamy Avocado Dressing (aka Guacamole Buttermilk Dressing)
Jalapeno Ranch Dressing