Another fall treat is green tomatoes which make a brief appearance at the farmers market when the weather threatens to destroy the tomatoes before they ripen. Ever since I first discovered them I eagerly await them each fall and this weekend they made their first appearance. Inevitably the first thing that I do with them is to make some fried green tomatoes which is a Southern dish where slices of green, unripe, tomatoes are coated in cornmeal and fried until crispy. After an initial batch of fried green tomatoes I wanted to combine them with another Southern delicacy, pimento cheese, a combination of cheddar cheese, pimentos and mayonnaise, and make, you guessed it, a fried green tomato and pimento cheese sandwich!
Pimento cheese was practically made for use in grilled cheese sandwiches especially when all melted and good and combined with crunchy and tangy green tomatoes and salty bacon! Pimento cheese, where have you been my whole life?
Bacon and Fried Green Tomato Pimento Grilled Cheese
Crispy fried tart green tomatoes with bacon in a grilled cheese sandwich with plenty of melted sweet and spicy pimento cheese!
Servings: makes 1 serving
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 medium sized green tomato, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2-4 strips bacon
- 1/4 cup masa harina (corn flour) or flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- creole seasoning or salt and pepper, to taste
- oil or bacon grease for frying
- 2 strips bacon, cooked
- 1/2 cup pimento cheese (see below)
- 2 slices bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Soak the green tomato slices in the buttermilk for at least 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Cook the bacon and set it aside on paper towels to drain.
- Mix the masa harina, cornmeal and creole seasoning and place it in a wide and shallow dish.
- Pull the tomato slices out of the buttermilk and dredge them in the cornmeal mixture.
- Fry the tomato slices in oil over medium heat until golden brown on both sides, about 3-4 minute per side and set aside to drain on paper towels.
- Heat a pan over medium heat.
- Butter the outside side of each slice of bread, place one slice in a pan buttered side down, spread on half of the cheese, then top with the the fried green tomato slices and bacon followed by the remaining cheese and slice of bread, buttered side up.
- Cook until golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted, about 2-4 minutes per side.
A Southern classic with cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, sweet pimiento peppers and a touch of heat.
Servings: makes 2 cups
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1/2 pound cheddar, shredded
- 1 (4 ounce) jar diced pimientos, drained
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature and creamed
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt, pepper and cayenne to taste
- Mix everything.
Bacon Guacamole Grilled Cheese Sandwich
BLT Grilled Cheese (BLTGC)
Bacon Jam and Avocado Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Fried Egg
Fried Green Tomato BLT with Remoulade
Fried Green Tomato BLT with Pimento Cheese