The final component of my Thanksgiving dinner was perhaps the most important part, the dessert, and this year I wanted to try something a little new, a chocolate pumpkin pie. Pumpkin pie is often the dessert of choice for Thanksgiving and since chocolate and pumpkin go so well together I was thinking that a chocolate pumpkin pie would be amazing! At first I was just planning on simply mixing chocolate into a regular pumpkin pie recipe but a quick search on the web led me to this triple chocolate pumpkin pie recipe and with three kinds of chocolate I was thinking that it would have to be at least three times as good!
This pumpkin pie uses a pretty basic graham cracker crumb crust with some pumpkin spices mixed in, though you could easily add some cocoa powder to the crust to get a fourth form of chocolate into the mix. The first chocolate comes in the form of a layer of bittersweet chocolate on the crust that is topped with the semisweet chocolate pumpkin pie and the final chocolate comes in the form of a milk chocolate drizzle that is added just before serving. This triple chocolate pumpkin pie is pure chocolaty decadence at its best!
Well that slice did not survive the photo shoot!
Triple Chocolate Pumpkin Pie
A pumpkin pie with not one but three kinds of chocolate!
Servings: makes 1 pie, 6-9 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hours 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hours 30 minutes
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 16 crackers)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate (preferably 61 percent cacao), finely chopped
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate (preferably 55 percent cacao), chopped
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 can (15 ounce) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 can (12 ounce) evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 ounce milk chocolate, melted
- whipped cream, optional
- Mix the graham cracker crumbs, butter, sugars, salt, cinnamon and ginger, press the mixture into the bottom of a 9 inch pie plate and bake in a preheated 350F oven until lightly golden brown, about 8-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the bittersweet chocolate over bottom of crust, return to oven until it melts and spread it in a thin layer over the bottom of the crust.
- Melt the semisweet chocolate and butter in a double boiler until smooth and set aside.
- Mix the pumpkin, milk, brown sugar, eggs, cornstarch, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves in a large bowl.
- Mix in 1/3 of the pumpkin mixture into the chocolate and then mix in the rest.
- Pour the mixture into the pie plate and bake in a preheated 325F oven until the center is set but still jiggly, about 50-60 minutes.
- Let cool, refrigerate overnight and drizzle the milk chocolate on just before serving.
Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake
Guinness Chocolate Cheesecake