One idea that I had for a new appetizer for Thanksgiving was to make some kind of savoury sweet potato potato skins and the only question that I had was what to fill them with? Every time I thought about sweet potatoes though, I kept thinking about sweet potato casserole so I decided to just go with it and I made some sweet potato casserole potato skins! A sweet potato casserole is a casserole made with sweet potatoes and it is commonly topped with pecans and sometimes marshmallows and even though it is sweet enough to be a dessert it is served as a side dish. The basic idea behind these sweet potato potato skins was to bake the sweet potatoes until tender, scoop out the flesh, mash it and mix it up with common sweet potato casserole ingredients, stuffing the mixture back into the skins before topping with a pecan streusel and baking a second time! For the filling, I went with some of my favourite sweet potato casserole flavours including brown sugar, maple syrup and a splash of bourbon. Really you could consider each sweet potato potato skin to be and individually sized serving of sweet potato casserole!
Twice Baked Sweet Potato Potato Skins with Pecan Streusel (aka Individual Sweet Potato Casserole)
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes Servings: 4
Creamy mashed maple bourbon sweet potatoes served in their skins topped with pecan streusel.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed and dried
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons pecans, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pierce the sweet potatoes a few times with a fork, bake in a preheated 400F oven until tender, about 45-60 minutes and let cool.
- Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise, scoop out the flesh leaving 1.4 inch on the skin.
- Mix the sweet potatoes with the butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, bourbon and cinnamon and spoon it back into the kins.
- Mix the brown sugar, flour, butter, pecans and cinnamon until it starts to form crumbs and sprinkle it onto the stuffed potatoes.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven until the topping is a light golden brown, about 20 minutes.