I almost forgot to share the vanilla bourbon caramel sauce recipe that I mentioned in the pumpkin Greek yogurt banana bread the other day! This vanilla bourbon caramel sauce is a pretty standard caramel sauce with the seeds from a vanilla bean and a splash of bourbon added to add a depth of flavour and to give it an even more amazing aroma. Caramel sauce can be a bit tricky to make at first but once you get the hang of it, it is really easy! In fact the hardest thing about it is that it requires you to watch it the whole time because if you take yours eyes of of it for a few seconds it can burn really quickly. So other than having to dedicate 20-30 minutes of time to making it, it as simple as melting some sugar, bringing it to a boil and cooking it until it turns a nice amber colour. All that remains is to carefully add the cream followed by the butter and any flavourings that you want, in this case the vanilla and the bourbon.
Just look at all of those amazing flecks of vanilla bean seeds in there!
Vanilla Bourbon Caramel Sauce
A creamy vanilla caramel sauce with a hint of bourbon.
Servings: makes 1 cup
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- 1 vanilla bean, cut in half and seeds scraped
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- Mix the sugar and water in a small sauce pan and let simmer over medium heat until a medium amber colour, about 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, carefully pour in the heavy cream and stir until smooth.
- Mix in the butter, vanilla bean seeds and bourbon and stir until the butter has melted and combined.
Pumpkin Greek Yogurt Banana Bread
Pumpkin Pie Pancakes
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Pie Steel Cut Oatmeal
Blueberry Caramel Sauce
Dulce de Leche