Today is Cinco de Mayo and I wanted to take the opportunity to update one of my favourite recipes, this bacon wrapped jalapeno popper stuffed chicken with some new photos! The basic idea was to stuff chicken with all of the flavours of jalapeno poppers and then to wrap them in bacon and grill, fry or bake them. Jalapeno poppers are commonly filled with cream cheese and/or cheddar cheese and they are either coated in bread crumbs and fried until crispy or wrapped in bacon and grilled or baked until the bacon is cooked. I like a simple mixture of cream cheese, cheddar or monterey jack cheese and diced jalapeno peppers for the filling and the jalapenos can be roasted, fresh or even pickled. These bacon wrapped jalapeno popper stuffed chicken tastes just like jalapeno poppers and makes for one really tasty light meal! Who says you can't have your favourite game day snacks for dinner any night of the week?
The original shot from 2012:
Crispy bacon! Oh my!
Mmmmm... ooey, gooey melted cheese! Yum!
Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Chicken
Juicy chicken breasts wrapped in crispy bacon and stuffed full, to overflowing, with melted cheese and jalapeno peppers!
- 4 (6 ounce) chicken breasts, butterflied or pounded thin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons roasted jalapenos (or fresh, or pickled), diced
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1/4 cup monterey jack or cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 slices bacon
- Lay the chicken flat, season the outside with salt and pepper, spread 1/4 of the mixture of the jalapenos and the cheeses on the chicken breasts, roll them up and wrap each in 2 slices of bacon
- Grill over indirect medium heat, with the lid down, until the bacon is crispy and the chicken is cooked (160F to 165F), about 20-30 minutes, or bake in a preheated 400F/200C oven on a wire rack on a baking pan until cooked, about 20-30 minutes, turning the oven to broil for the last few minutes to ensure that the bacon is crispy.
Option: Replace the salt and pepper with your favourite seasoning blend such as creole seasoning or taco seasoning.
Option: Add cheddar cheese
Bacon Wrapped Guacamole Stuffed Chicken
Slow Cooker Bacon Wrapped Apple BBQ Chicken
Bacon Wrapped, Mushroom and Spinach Stuffed Pork Tenderloin
Bacon Wrapped Buffalo Chicken Jalapeno Poppers
Jalapeno Popper Pizza
Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Jalapeno Popper Dip
Jalapeno Popper Southwestern Grilled Chicken Salad
Jalapeno Popper Dressing
Jalapeno Popper Corn Fritters
Jalapeno Popper Chicken Soup
Jalapeno Popper Deviled Eggs
Jalapeno Popper Potato Gratin
Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
Bacon Wrapped Roasted Red Pepper and Goat Cheese Stuffed Chicken with Balsamic Drizzle and Basil