It seems that I have really been into chicken these last few weeks and when I made the pan seared chicken breasts in a mushroom, tarragon and mustard pan sauce the other day it reminded me of another chicken and mushroom dish that I had not made in a long time, chicken marsala. Chicken marsala is a quick and tasty dish where the chicken is sauteed in a pan and then the Marsala, an Italian fortified wine, is used along with mushrooms to make a pan sauce to go with the chicken. Pan sauces are so easy to make and always full of flavour and this one is no different coming together in no time at all!
I served the chicken marsala over pasta but it is also good over rice or mashed potatoes or even just by itself along with a salad or some vegetables.
Chicken in a quick and tasty mushroom marsala sauce.
Servings: makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 small chicken breasts, pounded thin and seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium shallot, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup marsala
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (~1/2 lemon)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat, add the chicken and cook until browned, about 2-3 minutes per side and set aside.
- Add the butter and mushrooms and saute until browned on both sides, about 7-8 minutes.
- Add the shallot and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the garlic and saute for half a minute.
- Add the marsala, deglaze the pan, add the chicken broth and lemon juice, bring to a boil and let simmer until reduced by half, about 5-7 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, mix in the butter and return the chicken to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in the parsley and remove from heat.
Pan Seared Chicken Breasts in a Mushroom, Tarragon and Mustard Pan Sauce
Chicken with Cherry Tomato Pan Sauce on Fresh Corn and Basil Polenta
Honey Lemon Chicken
Chicken in a Creamy Parmesan and Sundried Tomato Sauce
Chicken and Mushroom Skillet in a Creamy Asiago and Mustard Sauce