Simple sauteed green beans, mushrooms and onions has to be one of my favourite side dishes but it is always nice to change things up and to use that fabulous combo in other dishes! I recently came across the idea of using the combo in a green bean and mushroom tart on A Spicy Persective and of course I just had to try it. I have been enjoying the ease and simplicity of puff pastry tarts for a while now and you really cannot get much easier that rolling out some puff pastry, topping it with your favourite toppings and baking it for a few minutes in the oven! For this particular tart we are topping it with blanched green beans and caramelized mushrooms and onions. Of course it is always nice to have something on your tart to hep the other ingredients stick to it as you eat and some blue cheese works wonderfully well with green beans and mushrooms on this tart!
This tart works well as an appetizer or even a light meal!
Green Bean, Mushroom and Caramelized Onion Tart
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes Total Time: 55 minutes Servings: 4
A green bean and caramelized mushroom puff pastry tart with blue cheese.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or chicken broth or vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound green beans
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed as directed on package
- 1/4 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and onions and saute until the mushrooms caramelize, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the wine, deglaze the pan, season with salt and pepper to taste, let the wine cook off and set aside.
- Blanch the green beans in boiling water until bright green and al-dente tender, about 2-3 minutes, plunge in cold water and set aside to drain.
- Roll the puff pastry out on a lightly floured surface, cut in half and top with the green beans, mushrooms, shallots and blue cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 425F oven until the the puff pastry is golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.