With grilling season over we are now forced to cook indoors but that does not really bother me so much as I have always enjoyed cooking meat in a pan over the stove where you can get a good sear and some caramelization. Of course when you caramelize meat in a pan you get those brown bits of flavour stuck to the bottom of the pan and they are just begging to be scraped off with a nice deglazing to reclaim all of the flavour. It is with this that I made these super tasty pan seared chicken breasts in a mushroom, tarragon and mustard pan sauce which is really easy to make and quick enough to do on a weeknight. The tangy mustard and anise-y tarragon are an amazing flavour combination in this creamy pan sauce and you really cannot go wrong throwing some mushrooms in to fill out the sauce!
What are your favourite pan sauce recipes?
I served the pan seared chicken breasts in a mushroom, tarragon and mustard sauce over mashed cauliflower, which was perfect for soaking up all of the extra sauce, and with a side of simple steamed green beans.
Pan Seared Chicken Breasts in a Mushroom, Tarragon and Mustard Pan Sauce
Chicken served in a quick, easy and tasty tarragon and mustard mushroom sauce.
Servings: makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 small chicken breasts, pounded thin and seasoned with salt and pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium shallot, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine or a splash of brandy or 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 2 tablespoons tarragon, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat, season the chicken with salt and pepper, add it to the pan and cook until browned, about 2-3 minutes per side and set aside.
- Add the oil and mushrooms and saute until browned on both sides, about 7-8 minutes.
- Add the shallot and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the garlic and saute for half a minute.
- Add the wine, deglaze the pan, add the chicken broth and cream, bring to a boil and let simmer until reduced by half, about 5-7 minutes.
- Mix in the mustard and tarragon, season with salt and pepper, return the chicken to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Chicken and Mushroom Skillet in a Creamy Asiago and Mustard Sauce
Chicken with Cherry Tomato Pan Sauce on Fresh Corn and Basil Polenta
Tequila Lime Grilled Chicken
Buffalo Chicken Salad
Chicken in a Creamy Parmesan and Sundried Tomato Sauce