At the base of any great soup is a broth and although store bought broth is convenient, a homemade broth will have more flavour and it is super easy to make! Chicken broth is probably going to be your work horse broth and it is a simple to make as simmering a chicken along with some vegetables, herbs and spices. Homemade chicken broth really only requires about 5 minutes of effort to throw everything into the pot and then 5 minutes to collect the meat from the chicken at the end so there is no excuse not to make your own!
One of the things that I like about making chicken broth is the reduction in waste! Instead of throwing out those celery or carrot ends, toss them into the freezer until the next time that you make broth. I always seem to have leftovers when I buy fresh herbs and instead of throwing them out I now save them for the next time that I make broth! After the broth has been made you have a chicken carcass that can be saved to make chicken stock getting even more use from your chicken!
Another great benefit of making your own chicken broth is that you control exactly what goes into it so there is no worrying about salt content or unpronounceable ingredients.
Easy homemade chicken broth that is perfect for any soup!
Servings: makes 6-8 cups
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 1 (3 pound) chicken
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 6 sprigs parsley
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (2-inch) piece parmesan cheese rind (optional)
- Place everything in a large stock pot, cover with 4 inches of water, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Pull the meat off of the chicken and reserve for another use.
- Strain the solids from the broth and discard them.
- Optionally, let the broth cool in the fridge over night and skim off any fat before using.
Tip: Save any leftover celery and carrot ends, herbs and parmesan rinds in the freezer for the next time that you make broth.
Tip: Chicken broth freezes well so you don't have to use it all when you make it.
Tip: Save the chicken carcass to make chicken stock.
Chicken Noodle Soup
Tom Yum Gai (Thai Hot and Sour Chicken Soup)