I am a totally addicted to Pad Thai, a super tasty stir-fried noodle dish, so when I came across the idea of a pad Thai soup on Domestic Fits I just had to make my own! At its base pad Thai contains rice, noodles that are stir-fried with an egg, meat commonly shrimp and/or chicken and bean sprouts and it is garnished with cilantro, peanuts, green onions and lime juice. Pad Thai gets it flavour from a tasty sauce that is made with tamarind, fish sauce, sugar and chilies creating an amazing balance of sour, salty, sweet and spicy! With these things in mind I started the soup off with chicken broth that I simmered with the shrimps shells to impart their flavour to it. I then added all of the ingredients from the pad Thai sauce, the tamarind, fish sauce, sugar and chilies, to form a tasty broth for the soup. Next up I added some shiitake mushrooms which are also good in pad Thai along with the noodles and bean sprouts to fill out the soup. That left the egg which is great in fried rice or fried noodle dishes like pad Thai and since I love the texture that an egg adds to egg drop soup I decided to add the egg in that fashion. With the soup done, all that was left was to garnish it with cilantro, peanuts, chilies, lime juice and optionally some fried shallots and enjoy it!
This is one really tasty soup and perfectly satisfying on a cold winter day like today!
Pad Thai Soup
A tasty shrimp noodle soup inspired by the flavours of pad Thai.
Servings: makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound shrimp, shelled and deviened, shells reserved
- 1 large shallot, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tamarind concentrate or 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons palm sugar or brown sugar
- 2 birds eye chilies, sliced (or chili sauce such as sriracha to taste)
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 pound rice noodles
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup peanuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- birds eye chilies to taste, sliced
- cilantro to taste
- crispy fried shallots to taste
- lime wedges to taste
- Bring the broth and shrimp shells to a boil in a large sauce pan, reduce the heat, simmer covered for 10 minutes and strain the solids from the broth.
- Add the shallot, garlic, tamarind concentrate, fish sauce, sugar, chilies and mushrooms and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook the noodles as directed and divide between 4 bowls.
- Add the shrimp to the soup and simmer until cooked, about 3 minutes.
- Pour the eggs into the soup in a thin stream while stirring/swirling the soup.
- Add the bean sprouts and remove from heat.
- Ladle the soup over the noodles and garnish with green onions, chopped peanuts, sliced chilies cilantro, crispy fried shallots and lime wedges to taste.
Tip: Rice noodles do not hold up well sitting in the leftovers overnight so if you are not going to finish all four servings only cook the noodles you need and make some more when for the leftovers when you get to them.
Pad Thai Omelette
Thai Chicken Noodle Soup
Tom Yum Goong Soup (Thai Hot and Sour Shrimp Soup)
Spicy Peanut Sauce Pad Thai
Pad Thai Shrimp Burgers