I have totally been into soups lately making one or two soups per week and this only seems appropriate with the chilly weather that we have been having! With the release of my new eCookbook, Tasty Soups , I could not resist
Of course this pasta e fagioli soup would not be complete without some cheesy garlic bread!
Pasta e Fagioli Soup (Italian Pasta and Bean Soup)
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 50 minutes Total Time: 1 hour Servings: 4
A tasty Italian style bean and pasta soup with Italian sausage and plenty of vegetables.
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, toasted and ground
- 1/4 cup white wine or broth
- 4 cups ham broth or chicken broth or chicken stock
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (2 inch) piece parmesan rind
- 1 cup ditalini pasta
- salt and pepper to taste
- parsley, chopped (optional)
- Cook the sausage in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat and set aside.
- Add the oil, onions, carrots and celery to the pan and saute until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the garlic, red pepper flakes and fennel seeds and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the wine and deglaze the pan.
- Add the broth, sausage, tomatoes, beans, tomato paste, oregano, bay leaf and parmesan rind, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. (If you have the time this soup will benefit from being simmered longer.)
- Add the pasta and simmer until it is cooked al-dente, about 6-8 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve garnished with parsley and parmesan.
Slow Cooker: Implement step 1, optionally implement steps 2-4, place everything except the beans and pasta in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-10 hours or high for 2-4 hours before adding the beans and pasta and cooking on high until the pasta is al dente, about 20-30 minutes.