A while ago I made some sweet chili chicken rice bowls and they got me thinking that spicy peanut chicken rice bowls would also be really tasty! I wanted to keep things relatively simple so I braised the chicken in some of my favourite Thai spicy peanut sauce all day and shredded it before using it in the rice bowl along with the sauce that it was cooked in. The rest of the rice bowls consist of cooked rice, a fried egg, steamed spinach, fresh herbs and crispy fried shallots making for a light and tasty meal in a bowl that is just packed with flavour. If you have a rice cooker you can make things easier by setting it to have the rice cooked when the chicken is done and then all that is left is frying the eggs and steaming the spinach.
Tip: Make a double batch of the spicy peanut sauce and cook some extra chicken for use in some tasty spicy peanut chicken quesadillas
Although the rice bowls look better when freshly assembled, they taste better with all of the flavours mixed up!
Spicy Peanut Chicken Rice Bowl
Moist and tender chicken braised in a tasty Thai style spicy peanut sauce served in rice bowls with a fried egg and plenty of fresh herbs.
- 1 cup Thai spicy peanut sauce
- 1/2 cup coconut milk or chicken broth
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 4 eggs, fried or poached
- 1 cup coarsely chopped and steamed spinach
- 1/4 cup peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced
- cilantro to taste, torn
- mint to taste, torn
- birds eye chilies to taste, sliced
- 1/4 cup crispy fried shallots
- basil to taste, torn
- Mix the peanut sauce and coconut milk and place it in the slow cooker along with the chicken and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove the chicken from liquid and shred.
- Assemble the rice bowl, mix and enjoy!