I am really into serving hot cheesy dips at parties and the classic, hot spinach and artichoke dip, is one of my goto recipes and with good reason! But, what if you are craving for that hot spinach and artichoke dip but want something a little lighter? How about a spinach and artichoke hummus with all of the flavours of original with none of the regret? Hummus is nice and smooth and creamy and a great replacement for the cheese base of the original dip and it is much healthier to boot! I do like to add a touch of parmesan or asiago to pack in even more flavour and some umami kick but it is completely optional and it can easily be omitted for a vegan version. This spinach and artichoke hummus is a perfect option for your game day party if you are looking for something lighter or looking for something vegetarian or vegan without sacrificing anything in the way of flavour!
Perfect for dipping with whole grain crackers or veggies!
Of course if you just can't give up the cheese, add some and bake it to get it all melt-y and good! (Say 1 cup of mozzarella and 20-30 minutes at 350F.)
Spinach and Artichoke Hummus
A creamy and healthy hummus dip with all of the flavours of a spinach and artichoke dip without any of the regret.
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1/2 lemon, juice (~2 tablespoons)
- olive oil to taste
- salt and cayenne to taste
- 1/2 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup asiago or parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated (optional)
- Puree the chickpeas, garlic, tahini, lemon juice and enough oil to get the consistency that you desire.
- Season with cayenne, salt and pepper and mix in the spinach, artichoke hearts and cheese.