I have been wanting to try making a pizza with a cauliflower crust ever since I came across the idea on Recipe Girl; I mean what's not to like about a cauliflower crust for a pizza? I actually got a chance to try a cauliflower crust a couple of months ago but I ran into a problem, the crust stuck so badly to the parchment paper that I could't get it off. What bits that I could get off tasted great though so I was determined to get it right! After hours of going through comments on various cauliflower pizza crust recipes the secret seems to be that you need to squeeze out as much of the liquid as possible from the cooked cauliflower before baking it. As sometimes happens this project fell through the cracks and I forgot about it until the holidays when I picked up a silicon baking mat and it practically had the cauliflower crusts name written on it. I tried the recipe again, this time squeezing out the excess liquid and using the silicon baking mat, and the crust came out beautifully and just as tasty as expected! This crust is seriously good! I could easily eat the crust all by itself as a snack or maybe with a dipping sauce not to mention all of the tasty pizza topping options!
The cauliflower pizza crust holds together really well and you can easily eat the pizza with your hands!
A healthy thin crust pizza crust!
I can't wait to make more pizzas with cauliflower crusts!
BBQ Chicken Cauliflower Crust Pizza
Cauliflower makes a surprisingly good pizza crust and it goes really well with a BBQ chicken topping!
- 1 cauliflower pizza crust (see below)
- 1 cup chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 3/4 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, torn
- Mix the chicken and barbecue sauce, top the pizza with the chicken, mozzarella and red onion and bake until the cheese is bubbling, about 10-15 minutes.
Cauliflower Pizza Crust
Cauliflower makes a surprisingly good pizza crust that is much healthier!
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- 1 teaspoon oregano or Italian seasoning blend
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rice the cauliflower in a food processor, place it in a microwave safe dish and microwave for 8 minutes or until cooked.
- Place the cauliflower in a tea towel and squeeze as much moisture out as you can.
- Mix the cauliflower, egg, mozzarella, parmesan, oregano, salt and pepper, press the mixture onto a baking mat or parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake in a preheated 450F/230C oven until lightly golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
Pepperoni Pizza Cauliflower Casserole
Zucchini Pizza Crust (with Chipotle BBQ Bacon and Grilled Corn Pizza)
Thin Crust Pizza Dough
Balsamic Strawberry and Chicken Pizza with Sweet Onions and Smoked Bacon
Thai Chicken Pizza with Sweet Chili Sauce
Pizza Quesadillas (aka Pizzadillas)
Pepperoni Pizza Casserole
BBQ Ham, Bacon and Pineapple Quesadillas (aka BBQ Hawaiian Pizza Quesadillas)
Grilled Corn, Roasted Poblano and Bacon Zucchini Crust Pizza
No Crust Pepperoni Pizza
Loaded Baked Potato Broccoli Crust Pizza