This year St Patrick's Day is on a Sunday and that means cutting back on the amount of Irish ales, stouts and whiskies in the evening but it also provides the opportunity to do some more cooking in the spirit of the day, starting with breakfast! Guinness and chocolate are a perfect match and I was thinking that some Guinness chocolate pancakes would be a great way to kick off St Patrick's day! For the recipe, I pretty much took my standard chocolate pancake recipe and replaced the milk with Guinness. I made the pancakes small so that I could make a nice stack of them as if they were Guinness in a glass and I topped them off with a frothy head of whipped cream. Instead of using regular pancake syrup or even maple syrup I decided to kick up the chocolate and Guinness flavours with a Guinness and chocolate syrup! You know me too well; I could not stop there, I just had to add some crumbled bacon to the pancake batter to give the chocolate pancakes a saltiness to play off of their sweetness. (The bacon is of course completely optional and should be omitted for the vegetarian version.) You are sure to get your St Patrick's Day celebrations off to a good start with these totally amazing bacon Guinness chocolate pancakes with a frothy whipped cream head and Guinness chocolate syrup!
Start with a tall stack of Guinness chocolate pancakes.
Top with a frothy head of whipped cream.
Pour on the Guinness chocolate syrup!
Optionally top with chocolate shavings followed by the bacon!
Bacon Guinness Chocolate Pancakes with a Frothy Whipped Cream Head and Guinness Chocolate Syrup
Guinness brings out the chocolate flavour in a stack of these chocolate pancakes with bacon topped with a frothy head of whipped cream and Guinness chocolate syrup.
Servings: makes 2 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons Guinness or other Irish stout
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 strips bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces and cooked (optional)
- 1/2 cup heavy/whipping cream, whipped with 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Guinness chocolate syrup
- Mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Mix the Guinness, egg and butter in another large bowl.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients along with the bacon.
- Heat a pan over medium heat and melt a touch of butter (or bacon grease) in it.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the mixture into the pan and cook until the surface starts to bubble and the bottom is golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Flip the pancake and cook the other side until the bottom is golden brown, about 1-2 minutes. Repeat for the remaining batter.
- Serve in a stack topped with a head of frothy whipped cream and Guinness chocolate syrup.
Black Forest Pancakes
Guinness Chocolate Stout Cake with Bailey's Cream Cheese Frosting
Guinness Chocolate Cheesecake
Guinness Chocolate Pudding