One of the best things about St Patrick's Day has to be all of the leftover corned beef and although the reuben sandwich is my favourite way to enjoy those leftovers, it is sometimes difficult to wait until lunch to make a reuben sandwich! This year I thought that it would be nice to push it up a bit and have a reuben for breakfast in the form of a breakfast sandwich in an english muffin with a fried egg! This breakfast reuben sandwich has all of the flavours of a regular reuben sandwich with the corned beef, swiss cheese, sauerkraut and russian or thousand island dressing but it is served in an english muffin with a fried egg. The only thing that is missing really is the lack of rye bread and if you feel up to it you could make your own rye english muffins but I took an easier route and simply added one of the primary flavours of a rye bread, the caraway seeds, to the breakfast sandwich. This sandwich certainly is one tasty breakfast treat and a perfect way to get a start to the day after St Patrick's Day!
Just look at that amazing runny egg yolk!
This breakfast reuben sandwich can be a bit messy but it is definitely worth it!
Breakfast Reuben Sandwich
The classic Reuben sandwich with corned beef, swiss cheese, sauerkraut and tangy russian dressing served up in breakfast form in an english muffin with a fried egg.
Servings: makes 1 sandwich
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1 english muffin (preferably rye), lightly toasted
- 2 slices corned beef, warm
- 2 tablespoons swiss, shredded
- 2 tablespoons sauerkraut, squeezed and drained, coarsely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon caraway seeds, toasted and ground
- 1 tablespoon russian or thousand island dressing
- 1 egg, fried
- Place the corned beef on one slice of muffin, top with the swiss and broil to melt the cheese, about 1-3 minutes.
- Top with sauerkraut, caraway seeds, dressing egg and muffin and enjoy!
Poached Egg on Toast with Chipotle Mayonnaise, Bacon and Avocado
Peameal Bacon and Kimchi Breakfast Muffin
Looking for more St Patrick’s Day recipes?