I recently made some lechon asado (Cuban roast pork) and I used it to make some tasty Cuban style sandwiches. A reader recently suggested trying a St Patrick's Day take on the Cuban sandwich replacing the ham with corned beef which sounded really good! I am no stranger to mixing things up and one of my favourite takes on a Cuban sandwich has to be my Thanksgiving Cuban sandwich where the roast pork is replaced with roast turkey and cranberry sauce is thrown into the mix, so I needed little convincing to try the St Patrick's day version! As luck would have it I still had some roast pork in the freezer and I had just made some corned beef so I was all set to go. Normally a Cuban sandwich is made in a Cuban bun and cooked pressed but I decided to make this sandwich more grilled cheese style in golden brown crispy butter-y bread that is grilled to perfection. I have to say that the corned beef makes for an excellent substitution for the ham in a Cuban sandwich and I will definitely be making these again! Next time I think I might throw some russian or thousand island dressing and try to work in some sauerkraut and make it more of a reuben Cuban sandwich!
Just look at all of that ooey gooey melted cheese!
St Patrick’s Day Corned Beef Cuban Grilled Cheese Sandwich
A St Patrick's Day take on a Cuban sandwich with corned beef instead of ham along with roast pork, pickles, swiss and mustard.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 bun or 2 slices of bread
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 slices of swiss
- 2 slices roast pork or 1/2 cup pulled pork preferably lechon asado (Cuban roast pork)
- 2 slices corned beef, cooked
- 2-4 slices pickle
- Butter one side of each slice of bread, spread mustard on the other sides, sprinkle half of the cheese onto the unbuttered side of one slice of bread followed by the roast pork, corned beef, pickle, the remaining cheese and finally top with the remaining slice of bread with the buttered side up.
- Grill over medium heat until golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 2-3 minutes per side.
Roast Turkey Cuban Sandwich
Corned Beef Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Guinness Caramelized Onions