It is good to be back in the kitchen!
When I know that I am going to have a busy week coming up I like to try to make one or two big meals on the weekend that are guaranteed to leave enough leftovers for a second quick meal during the week and casseroles are a great way to accomplish this. One of my favourite casseroles is a pizza casserole, I mean you really cannot go wrong with an ooey gooey melted cheesy casserole with all of the flavours of a pizza! This pizza casserole is a pasta based casserole with pizza sauce or marinara sauce, a cheese mixture of mozzarella, ricotta and parmesan along with your favourite pizza toppings. I often like a nice simple pepperoni, sausage and olive topping in my pizza casserole but you could use any pizza topping combination that you can think of and don't be afraid to change the pizza sauce up with a different kind of pizza sauce. No matter how you top it, this pizza casserole is going to be tasty!
This casserole is as easy to make as cooking the pasta and sausage, mixing everything up and baking it until it is bubbling and golden brown!
Just look at that melted cheesy pizza goodness!
Save some of the topping to top the casserole with to make it look like a pizza!
Pepperoni Pizza Casserole
A quick and easy pasta casserole with all of the flavours of a pepperoni pizza!
Servings: makes 4-6 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 12 ounces pasta
- 1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 3 cups (24 ounces) pizza sauce or marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 4 ounces pepperoni
- 8 ounces ricotta
- 2 cups mozzarella, shredded
- 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano (optional)
- Cook the pasta as directed on package but stop 3 minutes early, drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook the sausage in a large saucepan over medium heat, about 10 minutes.
- Mix in the sauce with the sausage and 3/4's of the olives and pepperoni and set aside.
- Mix the ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan and set aside.
- Place half of the pasta in the bottom of a large baking dish, top with half of the sauce, followed by half of the cheese mixture and repeat with another layer of each, finally topping with the remaining olives, pepperoni and oregano.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven covered in foil until bubbling at the sides, about 20-30 minutes, remove the foil and bake until the cheese has melted and started to turn golden brown, about 10 minutes.
Tip: Change things up by using your favourite pizza toppings.
Pizza Quesadillas (aka Pizzadillas)
Cauliflower Pizza Crust (BBQ Chicken Pizza)
Goat Cheese, Roasted Red Pepper and Kalamata Olive Mac n Cheese
Chicken, Roasted Red Pepper and Goat Cheese Lasagna
Taco Stuffed Shells
Creamy Pesto Caprese Pasta Casserole