With a bit of luck, or planning, after your St Patrick's Day dinner you will have some leftover corned beef to use in a new dish or two and this reuben quiche is definitely a tasty place to start. For this quiche I wanted to include all of the flavours of a reuben sandwich in quiche form for breakfast. The quiche itself is rather easy coming together with the standard eggs and cream along with some swiss cheese and it is filled it out with the leftover corned beef, some sauerkraut and a touch of russian or thousand island dressing. The only thing that is missing was the rye bread that a reuben sandwich is normally made with and I include it by making the quiches crust out of rye breadcrumbs held together with a touch of butter and some more swiss cheese that I pre-bake to ensure that it is nice and crisp. I have to say that this is one truly amazing way to do breakfast the day after St Patrick's Day!
Make sure to squeeze as much of the excess liquid from the sauerkraut as possible to ensure that your quiche is not soggy!
It is such a treat to have a reuben sandwich in quiche form for breakfast or brunch!
Serve with extra russian or thousand island dressing to top the quiche with if desired!
A corned beef, sauerkraut, and swiss quiche inspired by the reuben sandwich with a rye breadcrumb crust.
Servings: makes 4-6 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 2 cups rye bread crumbs*
- 1/4 cup swiss, finely grated
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cup corned beef, cut into small pieces or shredded
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut, well squeezed dry
- 1 cup swiss, shredded
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 tablespoon russian or thousand islands dressing + more for serving
- Mix the rye bread crumbs, swiss and butter, press into the bottom of a pie plate, about 1/8 inch thick and bake in a preheated 450F oven until the edges and bottom just start turning golden brown, about 5-7 minutes.
- Mix the corned beef, sauerkraut, swiss, eggs, half and half and dressing and pour into crust and bake in a preheated 375F oven until golden brown on top and set in the center, about 25-35 minutes.
Tip: Toast 5 slices of rye bread and then give them a quick whirl in a food processor to make the rye bread crumbs.
Breakfast Reuben Sandwich
Corned Beef Hash
Jalapeño Popper Quiche
Guinness Braised Onion and Aged White Cheddar Quiche
Apple and Cheddar Quiche
Looking for more St Patrick’s Day recipes?