Not too long ago a reader asked me if I had ever combined avocado and goat cheese in a pasta dish, which I had not, but since I am a huge fan of both ingredients I was immediately intrigued. I have used avocado and goat cheese in a lot of recipes together but mostly where other ingredients were the star of the show with the avocado and goat cheese there as backup and it was about time to let them shine together. I already had plans for dinner that night but I had both avocado and goat cheese on hand so I threw them into the salad that I was having with the meal and that only confirmed that the two ingredients are indeed truly magical together!
I had avocado and goat cheese pasta on my mind for the next few days as I ruminated various pasta recipes and in the end I decided to go with a simple alfredo style pasta. An alfredo pasta is a pasta with a sauce made from butter and parmesan to which I like to add cream and I figured that that would be a great base to melt the goat cheese into. On the avocado side of things I knew that I would have to add some lime juice to brighten things up and from there it seemed only natural to continue with the theme and add some cilantro and jalapeño pepper. (At this point I was thinking that this was almost like a guacamole and goat cheese pasta!) I did not want to cook the avocado too long so I pureed it in a food processor and mixed it into the goat cheese sauce and heated it just until it was warm before tossing it with the pasta. This avocado and goat cheese pasta is super easy to make and all things said and done this recipe takes less than 20 minutes to make so it is definitely doable on a busy weeknight.
I had some pretty high hopes for this goat cheese and avocado pasta and they were easily exceeded! The creamy avocado and tangy goat cheese is an amazing combination and it goes fabulously well in this pasta!
Serve with extra chunks of diced avocado to get some of that avocado texture.
You will definitely be licking your bowls clean to get every last bit of that tasty avocado and goat cheese sauce!
Avocado and Goat Cheese Alfredo Pasta
Avocado and goat cheese are a magical combination in this alfredo style pasta that will have you licking your bowl clean!
- 6 ounces linguine
- 1 large avocado, pureed
- 1/2 jalapeno (optional)
- 1 tablespoons cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (~1 lime)
- 1 tablespoon butter or oil
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or milk or half and half
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta as directed on the package.
- Meanwhile, puree the avocado, jalapeno, cilantro and lime juice in a food processor or blender and set aside.
- Melt the butter in pan over medium heat, add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the cream, goat cheese and parmesan, simmer until the cheese has melted, mix in the avocado mixture and heat to warm.
- Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper and serve hot over the pasta garnished with more goat cheese, avocado and cilantro as desired.
Note: The lime juice will help ensure that the avocado in the sauce does not turn brown so if you have any leftovers, they will still be good the next day.