With the warmer weather here I have been thinking about grilling more and burgers definitely come to mind! When I went over all of my burger recipes I noticed a glaring omission; where were the buffalo chicken burgers? I am a huge fan of all things buffalo chicken and it is always a treat to grill up some buffalo chicken burgers in the summer. I like to start my buffalo chicken burgers off by grinding some boneless and skinless chicken in the food processor to which I add some buffalo chicken flavours including carrots, celery, onions and blue cheese in addition to the buffalo hot sauce. In general I like to avoid fillers like egg and breadcrumbs in burgers which means that the patties are a little more delicate but as long as you flip them gently they still hold together quite well. Once the patties are assembled all that is left is to grill them until cooked and slightly charred before serving them up in a bun with your favourite condiments. For buffalo chicken burgers I like to keep the condiments simple and my faourite topping is a blue cheese slaw whether it be a cabbage slaw or as in this case a broccoli slaw. These tasty buffalo chicken burgers are all set to impress at your barbecues this summer!
When the burgers are almost done cooking baste them in some more buffalo hot sauce for even more spicy goodness!
When you grind your own chicken you know exactly what is in it and just look at that cross section; it almost looks like a solid chicken breast.
Feel free to dress these buffalo chicken burgers up any way you like and smothering them in melted cheddar cheese and adding bacon are definitely good ways to go!
Buffalo Chicken Burgers
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 20 minutes Servings: 4
All of the flavours of buffalo chicken wings in burger form with a creamy and tangy blue cheese slaw.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken or turkey
- 1/4 cup carrot, grated
- 1/4 cup celery, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons red onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup blue cheese, crumbled (optional)
- 1/4 cup buffalo hot sauce (or to taste)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cabbage or broccoli, shredded
- 2 tablespoons carrot, shredded
- 2 tablespoons red cabbage, shredded
- 3 tablespoons blue cheese dressing or ranch dressing
- 4 buns
- Mix the chicken, carrot, celery, onion, blue cheese, hot sauce, salt and pepper and form into 4 patties.
- Oil the grill, heat to medium high and cook the patties, about 4-5 minutes per side, basting with more hot sauce near the end and set aside.
- Serve the buffalo chicken burgers in the buns along with the mixture of the slaw and blue cheese dressing.
Note: Feel free to add an egg and some breadcrumbs to the burgers.