Grilling season is quickly approaching and I am getting ready by making some homemade BBQ sauces starting with this seasonal strawberry BBQ sauce. This strawberry BBQ sauce was inspired by the flavours in my strawberry and balsamic grilled chicken salad and my balsamic strawberry and chicken pizza with sweet onions and smoked bacon which predominantly feature the strawberry and balsamic vinegar flavours along with some Asian influences. I really wanted to be able to taste the strawberries in this BBQ sauce so that meant starting with a lot of strawberries and roasting them to concentrate their flavour. I like a BBQ sauce with a nice sweet side so for the sweetener I went with a combo of maple syrup and some homemade strawberry jam to add even more strawberry flavour. Up next was the balsamic vinegar for some tartness, soy sauce for the saltiness and a smoky and spicy chipotle chili in adobo. Continuing with the Asian influence I added plenty of garlic and ginger along with some BBQ sauce staples with a fresh cilantro finish. I have to say that this roasted strawberry BBQ sauce is addictively good! The strawberry flavours shine through and it has a really nice balance of sweet, spicy, tart and salty and lets not forget those sultry smoky undertones.
For my next batch I plan on adding bacon since both the salad and the pizza that inspired this dressing include bacon!
This roasted strawberry BBQ sauce is great on grilled chicken and also by the spoonful!
Roasted Strawberry BBQ Sauce
A sweet, spicy and smoky strawberry BBQ sauce.
Servings: 2 cups
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 4 cups strawberries, hulled (if they are large cut them in half)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons strawberry preserves/jam
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Place the strawberries in a single layer on a baking pan lined with foil folded up on the sides to capture the juices and roast in a preheated 425F oven until they start to caramelize, about 15-20 minutes.
- Bring everything except the cilantro to a boil, reduce the heat, simmer for 15 minutes, remove from heat, mix in the cilantro and puree in a food processor or blender or using an immersion blender.
Option: Add 4 slices of cooked and crumbled bacon.
Strawberry BBQ Chicken Club Sandwich with Bacon, Avocado and Goat Cheese
Strawberry BBQ Chicken Spinach and Quinoa Salad with Bacon, Avocado and Goat Cheese
Roasted Apple BBQ Sauce
Roast Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette
Homemade BBQ Sauce