I am on a pesto kick this week and up next is a puff pastry tart using the amazing flavour combination of chicken, pesto and plenty of melted cheese! I have been having fun with puff pastry tarts ever since I discovered them a few years ago and it's no wonder given how quick and easy they are to make! You pretty much just need to roll out the puff pastry, top it with either sweet or savoury toppings and bake it until golden brown; all said and done you can have a nice light and tasty meal ready in less than 30 minutes! This tart with it's homemade basil pesto, chicken and mozzarella topping is no different and it is perfect for busy summer days. Although a chicken and pesto tart would be great just all by itself, I like to top it with a juicy ripe tomato bruschetta where the tomatoes are 'marinated' in a touch of balsamic vinegar and this topping along with some fresh basil adds a fabulous freshness to the tart! What a great way to enjoy the fresh summer basil and tomatoes!
The crisp, light, flaky and buttery golden brown puff pastry is the perfect base for the chicken, pesto and bruschetta topping.
The chicken, pesto and bruschetta combo also goes well in pizza form!
Bruschetta Chicken Pesto Tart
A chicken pesto 'pizza' made on puff pastry and topped with a tomato fresh bruschetta.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 cup tomato, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 1 cup cooked chicken, diced or shredded
- 3/4 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), shredded
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted
- 1 tablespoon basil, torn or thinly sliced
- Mix the tomatoes, garlic and balsamic vinegar, season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Roll out the sheet of puff pastry into the desired shape, spread on the pesto and top with the chicken, cheese and onion.
- Bake in a preheated 400F oven until the a the pastry is golden brown and the cheese is melted, about 15-25 minutes.
- Sprinkle on the pine nuts, tomato bruschetta, and basil and enjoy.
Tomato and Basil Pesto Parmesan Tart
BBQ Chicken Pizza on Cauliflower Pizza Crust
Balsamic Strawberry and Chicken Pizza with Sweet Onions and Smoked Bacon
Asparagus and Gruyere Tart
Parmesan Crusted Pesto Tilapia Bruschetta
Caprese Chicken Pesto Pasta