With the local strawberries in season I have been getting a lot of them every week and it was about time that I used them in a recipe rather than just snacking on them. I have been thinking about a strawberry coffee cake ever since I saw one on Averie Cooks and it was about time that I made one! I went with a pretty basic coffeecake recipe that relies on butter, sour cream and buttermilk to ensure that it is nice and moist and tender both right out of the oven and that it remains that way for a few days. This strawberries and cream coffeecake recipe could not be easier to make; you really just need to mix the dry ingredients, mix the wet ingredients, combine them, pour them into a baking pan and then bake. With less than 10 minutes of work you can have this coffeecake in the oven and be impatiently waiting for it to bake while your house fills up with the irresistible aromas of baking strawberries and vanilla! What a great way to enjoy fresh summer strawberries for breakfast!
This strawberries and cream coffeecake works well for dessert, snack or breakfast!
You have to love that dripping cream cheese frosting/drizzle!
This recipe makes 6 servings in a 9 inch spring form pan or an 8 inch square bakin pan.
Strawberries and Cream Coffee Cake with Vanilla Cream Cheese Glaze
A moist and tender strawberry sour cream coffee cake with a vanilla cream cheese glaze.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or vanilla yogurt)
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup strawberries, sliced
- 3 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 1/3 cup cream cheese, room temperature
- 2/3 cup confectioners sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar, mix in the eggs one at a time followed by the sour cream, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Mix the dry mixture into the wet followed by the strawberries.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9 inch spring form pan or an 8 inch square pan and sprinkle on the turbinado sugar.
- Bake in a preheated 375F oven until a toothpick pushed into the center comes out clean, about 30-40 minutes.
- Mix the cream cheese, confectioners sugar, vanilla and milk until smooth and drizzle on cake.
Note: You can also use frozen strawberries; just add them to the recipe frozen just like you would with fresh and bake for a few minutes longer.
Strawberry Sour Cream Bread
Strawberry Greek Yogurt Banana Bread
Blueberry and Lemon Coffeecake
Cranberry Crumb Coffeecake
Strawberry, Bacon and Goat Cheese Strata with Balsamic Syrup
Strawberry Lemon Ricotta Poppy Seed Pancakes