I can't believe that it has been so long since I last made a grilled cheese sandwich! I guess I was all grill cheesed out after grilled cheese month!
With summer here I could not resist using some of the beautiful fresh fruit in a grilled cheese sandwich starting with cherries. I always enjoy the melted brie and fruit combo and it also just happens to be fantastic in a grilled cheese sandwich so it is my cheese of choice for this sandwich. Instead of throwing the fresh cherries into the sandwich I roast them a bit first to both concentrate their flavour and to remove some of their moisture, since nobody likes a soggy sandwich. Before roasting the cherries I like to toss them in balsamic vinegar which brightens them up a bit and helps bring out their flavour but brandy or port are also great options. The next component of this sandwich, a touch of dark chocolate, might be a bit of a surprise but it works so amazingly well! Chocolate and cherries were meant for each other and the duo is only made better by the addition of plenty of melted brie! Although this balsamic roasted cherry, dark chocolate and brie grilled cheese sandwich might sound a bit odd, it is a truly magical flavour combination that is pure magic in your mouth!
Is this dessert? Is it dinner? Does it matter? It's all sorts of good!
This grilled cheese sandwich is also amazing with other fruit and berries that go well with chocolate like raspberries and strawberries.
You just have to love those burnt bits of cheese that oozed out the sides!
Balsamic Roasted Cherry, Dark Chocolate and Brie Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Total Time: 40 minutes Servings: 1
A summery grilled cheese sandwich with balsamic roasted cherries, dark chocolate and plenty of melted brie.
- 1/2 cup cherries, pitted and halved
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar (or brandy or port)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 slices bread
- 1 1/2 ounces brie, room temperature
- 1 ounce dark chocolate, chopped, room temperature
- Toss the cherries in the balsamic vinegar, place them on a baking sheet in a single layer, roast in a preheated 450F oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat a pan over medium heat.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread, place one slice in the pan with buttered side down, top with half of the cheese, the chocolate, cherries, the remaining cheese and finally the other slice of bread with buttered side up.
- Grill until golden brown and the cheese and chocolate has melted, about 2-4 minutes per side.