On the weekend when I have more time on breakfast I often like to do something special and given my passion for them, it often involves runny egg yolks. I kicked this weekend off with some eggs benedict with a Mexican twist using moist, tender and crispy carnitas that I had made earlier in the week. Eggs Benedict is made with ham and a poached egg on an English muffin covered in hollandaise sauce but you can easily change things up by swapping the meat, sauce or even the muffin. Although I am totally into hollandaise sauce I felt that a nice salsa verde would be a better option to go along with the carnitas and I mixed a mashed avocado into it to thicken it up and because avocados are simply amazing! I finished the carnitas egg benedict off with some pickled red onions and some crumbled cotija.
You just have to love a nice runny egg yolk!
What a great way to start off the day on the weekend!
Carnitas Eggs Benedict
Moist, tender and crispy carnitas served on a lightly toasted English muffin with a poached egg, pickled red onions and avocado salsa verde.
- 4 eggs
- 2 English muffins, cut in half and lightly toasted
- 2 cups carnitas, warm
- 1/4 cup pickled red onions or fresh sweet onions
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 1/4 cotija, crumbled (optional)
- 1/4 cilantro, torn
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and reduce the heat to medium.
- Crack an egg into a bowl, swirl the water in the pot and pour the egg from the bowl into the water, let the egg cook until the egg is set the way you like, about 2-3 minutes and fish it out. Repeat with remaining eggs.
- Place two English muffin halves per plate, top with carnitas, pickles red onions, the eggs, the mixture of the salsa verde and avocado, cotija and cilantro.