For summer picnics, get-togethers, bbqs, etc. the main course, often grilled meat, gets all of the focus but it is also important to have a few good tasty sides on hand! The potato salad is a classic summer side that is easy to make and always goes over well! One of my favourite winter side dishes is a loaded baked potato or a baked potato with all the fixins including cheese, bacon, sour cream and green onions but it is too hot to have the oven on in the summer so why not make a loaded baked potato, potato salad? This baked potato salad is as easy to make as boiling the potatoes, I like using new potatoes in the summer, until tender and then mixing them up with the sour cream, cheese, bacon and green onions. You really cannot go wrong with creamy potatoes, cheese and plenty of bacon and this loaded baked potato salad is sure to be the first dish to disappear from your summer get-together!
The first time I photographed (below) this loaded baked potato salad I didn't garnish it with nearly enough cheese and bacon! :)
Loaded Baked Potato Salad
All of the flavours of fully loaded baked potatoes including bacon, cheddar, sour cream and green onions in a potato salad that is perfect for summer picnics and entertaining!
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, diced (optionally peeled)
- 1 cup sour cream (or Greek yogurt)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 strips bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 green onions, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the potatoes in water until just fork tender, about 15-20 minutes, drain and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile cook the bacon and set aside on pepper towels to drain.
- Mix everything and optionally, though highly recommended, let it chill in the fridge to allow the flavours to mingle before serving.
Option: If you like broccoli on your loaded baked potatoes it goes great in this salad as well!