When I made the zucchini pizza crust I decided that corn would be a good topping since it was also in season and because I wanted to try it since I had never had corn on pizza. The problem with that decision was that within a few minutes of thinking about it I had several great ideas for pizza topping combos including corn and I had a hard time deciding which to try first! After the fabulous success of the first corn topped pizza I had to try another and this time the idea was based on a chicken and corn chowder soup.
Corn chowders are commonly creamy so a regular tomato based pizza sauce was out and a creamy alfredo sauce was in! In addition to the chicken and corn I added bacon and onions which are also common ingredients in chowders and I finished the pizza off with a hint of thyme which I always enjoy in chowders.
I am a little embarrassed to admit that I have never actually had a pizza with alfredo sauce on it (I almost never order pizza) but I have to admit that it is pretty amazing, especially on this corn chowder inspired pizza! Cream and corn were practically meant for each other and the bacon and corn combo isn't too far behind, but with all three of them together on one pizza it is out of this world! This pizza reminded me of corn chowder and it definitely worked really well on a zucchini pizza crust! I have a feeling that I will be making this pizza many more times this summer!
Pass me another slice please!
Chicken Corn Chowder Zucchini Crust Pizza
A pizza inspired by the flavours of chicken corn chowder with a creamy alfredo sauce base, chicken, corn, bacon and onions with a hint of thyme.
- 1 pre-baked zucchini pizza crust
- 1/2 cup alfredo sauce (see below)*
- 3/4 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 1 cup chicken, cooked and sliced or shredded
- 1/2 cup corn or 1 ear of grilled corn
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces and cooked
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- Spread the alfredo sauce on the pizza, top with the mozzarella, chicken, corn, bacon and thyme and bake in a preheated 450F/230C until the cheese is bubbling, about 10-15 minutes.
Note: Feel free to use a store bought alfredo sauce instead of making this one to save time. If you use a store bought you can simmer it for a few minutes with a pinch of thyme to infuse it with its flavour.
A simple and tasty creamy garlic and thyme alfredo sauce.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup heavy/whipping cream
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the cream, cheese and thyme, simmer until it thickens, about 5 minutes, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Zucchini Pizza Crust (with Chipotle BBQ Bacon and Grilled Corn Pizza)
Cauliflower Pizza Crust (with BBQ Chicken Pizza)
Balsamic Strawberry and Chicken Pizza with Sweet Onions and Smoked Bacon
Shrimp and Roasted Corn Chowder
Buffalo Chicken Chowder
Grilled Corn, Roasted Poblano and Bacon Zucchini Crust Pizza