As much as I enjoy eating grilled meat right off the stick it is always fun to use it as an ingredient in another dish and as I was munching on the grilled jerk shrimp and pineapple skewers I had several ideas! The first idea was for some grilled jerk shrimp tacos with a pineapple salsa which sounded so good that I had to make it right away. In addition to the shrimp and pineapple salsa I wanted one other ingredient, a simple red cabbage slaw both for the colour and for the crunchy texture. At first I was just going to toss the cabbage in some crema for creaminess but thoughts of the Caribbean and pineapples inspired me to make a pina colada crema flavoured with pineapple, coconut and of course rum! The combo of spicy jerk shrimp, sweet and juicy pineapple salsa, crunchy cabbage and the creamy pina colada crema in these tacos is simply divine!
I do so enjoy using fruit, especially grilled fruit, in savoury dishes like this in the summer!
Jerk Shrimp Tacos with Pineapple Salsa, Slaw and Pina Colada Crema
Spicy grilled jerk shrimp tacos with grilled pineapple salsa, slaw and cool and creamy (and rummy) pina colada crema.
- 1 pound (16-20) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup jerk marinade
- 2 cups cabbage, sliced
- 1/2 cup pina colada crema (see below)
- 12 small corn tortillas, warmed
- 2 cups grilled pineapple salsa (I added 1/2 red pepper, diced this time.)
- Marinate the shrimp in the the jerk marinade for at least 20 minutes and up to over night.
- Skewer the shrimp and grill over medium-high heat until cooked, about 1-3 minutes per side.
- Toss the cabbage in half of the crema.
- Assemble tacos by placing the slaw on the tortillas, followed by the pineapple salsa and shrimp finally topping with a drizzle of crema.
Pina Colada Crema
All of the flavours of pina colada in a crema that is perfect for jerk tacos and other Caribbean inspired dishes!
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or Greek yogurt)
- 3 tablespoons pineapple
- 2 tablespoons coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon rum (or 1 teaspoon rum extract) (optional)
- Puree everything in a food processor and enjoy!
Tip: If you cannot find coconut cream, open a can of coconut milk without shaking it and use the thick white part on the top which is coconut cream.
Grilled Coconut and Pineapple Sweet Chili Shrimp Tacos
Pollo Pibil Tacos with Citrus Salsa
Cilantro Lime Shrimp Tacos with Roasted Corn Slaw and Roasted Jalapeno Crema
Grilled Jerk Shrimp and Pineapple Skewers
Pesto Grilled Shrimp Caprese Quesadillas
Teriyaki Shrimp Burgers with Grilled Pineapple Salsa, Bacon and Blue Cheese
Pad Thai Shrimp Burgers
Blackened Catfish Tacos
Cilantro and Lime Fish Tacos
Salmon Bulgogi Tacos with Blueberry Habanero Salsa