I have been on a quesadilla kick this summer and with all of the peaches around these days I could not resist making some peach quesadillas. There are probably a million different ways to use peaches in quesadillas and I was thinking of taking a slightly different route with mine. Instead of going with spicy salsas and guacamole I was thinking that the sweet juicy peaches would pair nicely with some tangy and creamy gorgonzola! Gorgonzola dolce is a particularly nice mild blue cheese that melts well but it does not have that nice stringiness that Monterey Jack or cheddar has and it will not hold a quesadilla together very well so I filled out the quesadilla with some mildly flavoured mozzarella. I wanted these quesaidillas to eat like a meal so I threw in some chicken and I finished things off with some sweet and sour balsamic reduction and a touch of peppery fresh arugula pesto. These peach, chicken and gorgonzola balsamic quesadillas with arugula pesto have a lot going for them and all of the flavours work so well together! They are definitely an amazing summer treat!
Feel free to drizzle on some extra balsamic reduction!
If you want to save some time you could always skip the arugula pesto and just use a few leaves of arugula.
Peach, Chicken and Gorgonzola Balsamic Quesadillas with Arugula Pesto
A summery fresh peach and chicken quesadilla with tangy gorgonzola, peppery arugula pesto and balsamic reduction.
- 2 (6-8 inch) tortillas
- 2 tablespoons gorgonzola dolce, crumbled
- 1/2 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 1 peach, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1 tablespoon arugula pesto (see below) or arugula (optional)
- 1 teaspoon balsamic reduction
- Heat a pan over medium heat, place a tortilla in the pan, sprinkle half of the cheese over the tortilla, followed by the peach, chicken, balsamic reduction, pesto, the remaining cheese and tortilla.
- Cook until the quesadilla is golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted, about 2-4 minutes per side.
Note: To make balsamic reduction Simmer 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar and 1 tablespoon brown sugar until reduced by half.
A different take on pesto using peppery arugula and walnuts.
- 1 cup basil, packed
- 1 cup arugula, packed
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano, grated
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- lemon juice to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place everything into a food processor and blend.