I am a big fan of Thai curries and during the summer I cannot help but think of green curries filled with all of the amazing vegetables around and of course plenty of fresh herbs. I have been wanting to try making a Thai curry inspired meatloaf for a while now and with all of the zucchini around a green curried meatloaf filled with zucchini sounded like a great idea! I decided to go with turkey to keep the meatloaf lean and healthy and I knew that the zucchini would help keep it moist and a homemade Thai green curry paste would ensure that it was nice and tasty! I filled the meatloaf out with some of the usual culprits including an egg and breadcrumbs and further seasoned it with fish sauce, garlic, green onions and cilantro.
I often like to serve meatloaf with a sauce and since I already had a Thai curry theme going a simple green curry coconut milk sauce was the perfect way to go! I have to say that this is one of the tastiest meatloafs that I have had in a while and I really like the way that the zucchini worked in a turkey meatloaf keeping it light moist and tender! What an amazingly tasty way to enjoy some of summers bounty!
I went with a free-form meatloaf this time but feel free to use a loaf pan for the more classic meatloaf shape.
I always enjoy making my own Thai curry pastes as they are easy to make and so full of flavour but feel free to use a store bought curry paste.
Thai Green Curry Turkey and Zucchini Meatloaf in a Coconut Milk Green Curry Sauce
A lean, moist and tasty zucchini turkey meatloaf seasoned with Thai green curry and served in a coconut curry sauce.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 2 cups zucchini, shredded and squeezed to drain excess liquid
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoon Thai green curry paste (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (or soy sauce)
- zest of one lime
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 tablespoon Thai green curry paste (or to taste)
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoon lime juice (~1 lime)
- 2 teaspoons palm sugar (or sugar)
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, sliced
- Mix the turkey, zucchini, eggs, bread crumbs, curry paste, fish sauce, lime zest, garlic, green onion and cilantro, form into a loaf and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven until it reaches 160F, about 40-50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat, add the curry paste and let it sizzle for a few minutes before adding the coconut milk, fish sauce, lime juice, sugar and kaffir lime leaves, bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Slice the meatloaf and serve topped with coconut milk curry.
The leftovers go great in a grilled cheese sandwich along with some caramelized onions, cilantro, basil, sriracha and plenty of Monterey Jack cheese.
The leftovers also make some pretty mean banh mi sandwiches with some pickled daikon radish and carrots, cucumbers, jalapenos and cilanto.
Tilapia Baked in Thai Green Curry
Asparagus, Zucchini and Chickpea Green Curry
Thai Curried Zucchini Fritters with Spicy Peanut Sauce
Chipotle Turkey Meat Loaf