Zucchini is still everywhere and one really nice way to enjoy some is in a zucchini bread . Although my favourite zucchini bread is a blueberry zucchini bread , every once in a while I like to indulge and go for a dark chocolate chip zucchini bread. Even though I was going with the chocolate chips, I wanted the rest of the zucchini bread to be as healthy as possible so I tweaked my recipe a little, cutting back on the fats and sugars while adding whole wheat flour and using 0% Greek yogurt along with bananas and the zucchini to keep the bread nice and light, moist and tender. One of the best things about a quick bread like this is that it literally only needs about 5-10 minutes of effort and then you just have to patiently wait for it to bake. I like to make a loaf of bread on the weekend and then have a slice for breakfasts during the week and this bread definitely lasts all week and with a few seconds in the microwave it is just as light moist and fluffy as the first day! What a great way to enjoy some zucchini!
I like to top my zucchini loafs with a few slices of zucchini.
Just look at all f those wonderful flecks of colour in there! I used a combination of green zucchini and yellow summer squash to get both colours into the loaf.
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Greek Yogurt Banana Bread
A healthier light, moist and tender zucchini banana bread with whole wheat flour and Greek yogurt along with a generous helping of chocolate chips.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 large over-ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup zucchini, grated, squeezed and drained
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (optional, or 1 cup blueberries)
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Mix brown sugar, bananas, eggs, vanilla extract, yogurt, zucchini and chocolate chips in another large bowl.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until golden brown and a toothpick poked into the center comes out clean, about 60 minutes.