One of the best ways to enjoy corn is right from the cob and one of my favourite ways to do that is Mexican style, aka elote, where the corn is covered in butter, mayo, cotija cheese, a squirt of lime and a touch of chili pepper. Of course you can easily cut the corn from the cob and if you do that with elote you get esquites, a Mexican style corn salad which I also like a lot! Quinoa is often on my mind and I could not help think that adding some would only make things better both by adding an amazing texture and by adding a healthy source source of protein! I often enjoy the addition of avocado to my esquites and so I could not leave it out of this quinoa salad! I have to say that the combination of sweet corn, creamy avocado and quinoa is quite amazing and it makes for a great side dish or even a light meal!
Esquites Quinoa Salad with Avocado
A quinoa salad inspired by esquites, a Mexican corn salad, with charred corn, feta and chili powder along with some cool and creamy avocados.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 3/4 cups water or broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups corn (about 3 ears)
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 jalapeno, optionally seeded and finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise (or Greek Yogurt or oil)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (~1 lime)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup cotija (or queso fresco or feta), crumbled
- 2 green onions, sliced
- salt, pepper and chili powder to taste
- Bring the water and quinoa to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the quinoa is tender and has absorbed the water, about 15 minutes, remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes, covered.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat, add the corn, toss and let it sit cooking until charred, mix it up and let it char again, about 10-14 minutes.
- Mix everything and serve warm or at room temperature.
Esquites (Mexican Corn Salad)
Mexican Corn on the Cob (Elote)
Corn and Cotija Guacamole (aka Esquites Guacamole)
Roasted Cauliflower and Mushroom Quinoa Salad in Balsamic Vinaigrette
Chipotle Roast Sweet Potato and Black Bean Quinoa Salad
Mexican Street Corn Style Grilled Zucchini
Greek Goddess Grain Bowl with Fried Zucchini, Halloumi and Toasted Seeds
Mexican Street Corn Nachos
Berry Quinoa Salad