I have been seeing hasselback potatoes around for a while now and I have been wanting to try making them! They are basically a potato that is sliced thinly and baked until the outside edges get nice and crispy, kind of like french fries, and the inside is nice and tender like a baked potato; the best of both worlds! In addition to being pretty amazing just like that, the space in between the slices are perfect for holding things like melted cheese. For my first hasselback potatoes I decided to go with a 'loaded' baked potato theme topping them with plenty melted cheese, bacon, sour cream and sliced green onions. Depending on the size of your potatoes these make for a side with small ones or even a meal with larger ones.
You really cannot go wrong with crispy tender potato, sour cream, melted cheese, bacon, sour cream and green onions!
Ooey gooey melted cheesy goodness in between every slice of crispy tender potato!
Fully Loaded Hasselback Potatoes
Hasselback potatoes, baked until crispy on the outside and tender on the inside and topped with all of the flavours of a fully loaded baked potato including melted cheese, bacon, sour cream and green onions.
- 4 small baking potatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter, sliced thinly
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 strips bacon
- 1 cup cheddar, shredded
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced
- Slice the potatoes thinly (~1/8 inch) without cutting all the way through.
- Place the potatoes on a baking sheet, stuff the sliced butter and garlic in between a few of the cuts in the potatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast in a preheated 400F/200C oven until crispy on the top and tender in the middle, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile cook the bacon until crispy and crumble it.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with the cheese and bacon and return to the oven until the cheese has melted, about 5 minutes.
- Serve topped with sour cream, and green onions.
Tip: Place a wooden spoon or something similar at the base of the potato to help prevent cutting all the way through.