Up first for my new pumpkin recipes this season is a light, tasty and healthy pumpkin turkey chili with white beans. This pumpkin chili is nice and simple and it includes the pumpkin in the form of pumpkin puree along with a hint of pumpkin pie spices which work really well with the smoky chipotle chili heat. All said and done this chili really only requires about a half an hour of active time followed by some simmering making for a relatively low effort meal.
I always like to try to include green vegetables in my meals and I did so here by topping the pumpkin turkey chili with a fresh kale and pepita salsa. The kale and pepita salsa could not be easier to make, you simply puree some raw kale along with cilantro, jalapenos, pepitas and lime juice in a food processor and it is ready to go. I have to admit that I was eating this kale and pepita salsa by the spoonful before it even made it to the dinner table; I will definitely be making it a lot more over the next few weeks!
Feel free to serve this pumpkin turkey chili topped with your favourite ingredients which could include things like, cheese, sour cream, cilantro, green onions, salsa, etc.
Serve the pumpkin turkey chili with tortilla chips for scooping to make this meal even more kid friendly!
Pumpkin and White Bean Turkey Chili with Kale and Pepita Salsa
A tasty and healthy fall pumpkin chili with white beans, smoky chipotle chilies and a hint of pumpkin pie spice.
- 1 pound ground turkey (or chicken)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups pumpkin puree or 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 2 cups chicken broth or turkey stock or pumpkin ale
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 chipotle chilies in adobo (or to taste), chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the ground turkey in a large pan over medium-high heat, about 15 minutes, and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat, add the onion, cook for 5 minutes, add the bell pepper and cook until the onion is tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cumin and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, pumpkin puree, broth, oregano, spices and chipotle in adobo, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 25 minutes
Slow Cooker: Implement step 1, optionally implement steps 2 & 3, place everything in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-10 hours or high for 2-4 hours.
Kale and Pepita Salsa
A fresh, bright and tasty kale and pepita salsa.
- 4 cups kale, stems removed and coarsely chopped
- 1 handful cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup pepitas, toasted
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (~1 lime)
- salt to taste
- Puree everything in a food processor.