Brussels sprouts have to be one of my favourite fall green vegetables and I had been meaning to try something new with them, a brussels sprout hash. Hash is a dish that often consists of diced meat, onions and potatoes and it is typically served as a breakfast dish along with eggs. I was thinking that it would be great fun to change things up a bit and do brussels sprouts for breakfast in a 'hash' along with some bacon, onions and sweet potato served with fried eggs! Brussels sprouts can be a little on the bitter side so I went with sweet potatoes for this hash to balance things out and the bacon adds a nice smokiness and saltiness. Hash is super easy to make and it is a one pan dish as you can cook the eggs in the pan in little holes or wells made in the hash and you can transfer the pan to the oven to finish cooking the tops of the eggs.
The brussels sprout hash with sweet potatoes and bacon turned out wonderfully well and I have to say that it is fun to have brussels sprouts for breakfast! I enjoy this brussels sprout hash so much that I have been making different versions of over the last few days and although I prefer it with sweet potatoes it also works with regular potatoes and even without the potatoes!
Both kimchi and bacon along with kimchi and sweet potatoes are amazing combinations and I have been meaning to try combining kimchi with brussels sprouts so I figured why not try a brussels sprout, sweet potato, kimchi and bacon hash! I quickly made the new version and I have to say that the spicy kimchi really works well with the brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, and salty bacon!
Of course I could not leave you without any runny egg yolk shots!
Brussels Sprout Hash with Sweet Potato and Bacon
Brussels sprout and sweet potato hash with bacon and fried eggs that makes for a tasty fall breakfast or brunch!
- 4 strips bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small sweet potato, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, trimmed and sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 eggs
- Cook the bacon in a pan over medium heat and set aside.
- Add the onion and sweet potato to the pan and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the brussels sprouts, saute until tender, about 5 minutes, let sit until the bottoms start to caramelize, about 5 minutes, mix everything up, let sit for 5 minutes and mix it all up.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Create 4 small wells in the hash, add the eggs and cook until the desired level of done-ness.
Option: Place the pan in the oven to finish cooking the eggs and to ensure that the tops of the eggs cook fully.
Option: Omit the bacon and cook everything in 1 tablespoon oil for a lighter vegetarian version.
Option: Add 1/2 cup coasely chopped kimchi before adding the eggs.