I was tired of all of the heavy eating and needed a break so I was thinking that a slight twist on bibimbap, a Korean style mixed rice bowl, using soba noodles instead of rice, along with plenty of fall vegetables would hit the spot! Soba noodles are made from buckwheat and it is a nice alternative to rice and hey, who doesn't like slurping noodles? For the vegetables I went with diced butternut squash that I coated in gochugaru chili flakes and roasted until tender and caramelized along with some sauteed kale and mushrooms and fresh homemade kimchi. The whole thing is of course finished off with a spicy gochujang hot sauce sauce before mixing and enjoying! This is perfect for a light meal and you can easily add meat or even better, a fried or poached egg with a runny yolk to make it more substantial! What a tasty way to detox from all of that holiday food!
It may not look better all mixed up but it certainly tastes better!
Roasted Butternut Squash, Shiitake Mushroom and Kale, Kimchi Bibimsoba
A Korean style mixed noodle bowl with the flavours of fall including roasted butternut squash, kale and shiitake mushrooms along with some spicy kimchi!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon gochugaru
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 4 cups kale, sliced
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 4 ounces shiitake, sliced
- 8 ounces soba noodles
- 1 cup kimchi, chopped
- toasted sesame seeds to taste
- toasted seaweed powder to taste
- green onions to taste
- gochujang sauce to taste
- Toss with the butternut squash with the oil and gochugaru, place in a single layer on a baking pan and bake in a preheated 400F oven until tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan over medium heat, add the kale and saute until tender, about 3-5 minutes, and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat, add the shiitake mushrooms, saute until slightly caramelized, about 7-10 minutes, and set aside.
- Cook the soba noodles as directed.
- Assemble bibimsoba, garnish with toasted sesame seeds, toasted seaweed powder, green onions to taste and gochujang sauce.
Option: Add more vegetables, meat or a fried or poached egg with a runny yolk.
Summer Vegetable Bibimbap with Corn, Zucchini and Black Beans
Roasted Butternut Squash, Black Bean and Swiss Chard Quinoa Bibimbap
Kale, Butternut Squash and Mushroom Miso Soup
Chipotle Roasted Pumpkin, Mushroom and Kale Quesadillas with Chipotle Pumpkin Crema and Kale Salsa
Mushroom Lasagna Roll Ups in Creamy Gorgonzola Cauliflower Sauce