This year I started my holiday baking with a different take on my favourite cookie from last year, the chocolate and maraschino cherry shortbread cookies, except that this time I used the same cherry and chocolate flavour combo in chocolate chip cookies! You really just cannot go wrong with chocolate chip cookies and throwing cherries into the mix will only make things better since the chocolate and cherry combo is a fabulous one! One of the best things about homemade chocolate chip cookies, other than the fact that they are so ridiculously addictively good, is that they are so easy to make. You literally just need to spend about 5 minutes combining ingredients and then you throw them in the oven. The hardest part about making them is waiting for them to finish baking, and that 10 minutes of bake time will seem like an eternity as your kitchen starts to fill up with the aroma of fresh baked cookies, and then you have to wait for them to cool, but then again that burnt tongue might just be worth it! For these maraschino cherry chocolate chip cookies you will also have to chop up some cherries but that only takes a few more minutes and it is definitely worth the effort!
Perfect with a tall glass of milk!
Maraschino Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 20 minutes Servings: 18
Chocolate chip cookies never had it any better than with the addition of maraschino cherries!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries, chopped
- Mix the butter and sugars in a bowl, beat in the egg followed by the vanilla extract.
- Mix the flour, baking soda and salt in another bowl.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet until they are just incorporated.
- Mix in the chocolate and the maraschino cherries.
- Place the dough onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet one tablespoon at a time and bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until just lightly golden brown around the edges, about 8-10 minutes, let cool on sheet for 2 minutes and transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
Option: Use white chocolate chips instead of dark.