Shrimp scampi has to be one of my favourite pasta dishes; not only is it super quick and easy to make but shrimp and pasta in a garlicky white wine, lemon and butter sauce is just so irresistible! When I came across the idea of a shrimp scampi dip on Foodie Crush I knew that I would have to make it and it was perfect for a New Years Eve party appetizer! I am totally addicted to hot melt-y cheese dips so I could not pass up on the idea of taking all of the flavours of shrimp scampi and placing them in a melted cheese dip! This dip starts off by cooking some shrimp in butter along with plenty of garlic followed by the white wine and lemon juice before mixing it all up with plenty of cheese and baking it until it is all melted, bubbling and golden brown. Not only is this dip super easy to make but it will also be the talk of the town at your party, though it will disappear quickly so you might want to make a double batch and hoard some for yourself!
Just look at those chunks of shrimp in all of that melted cheese!
This shrimp scampi dip goes great with garlic rubbed crostini and crackers.
Shrimp Scampi Dip
A hot cheese dip with all of the flavours of lemony and buttery shrimp scampi with plenty of chunks of succulent shrimp
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound shrimp, shelled, deveined and coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (~1 lemon)
- 4 ounces light cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup light sour cream (or Greek yogurt)
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- Heat the butter in a pan over medium heat and add the shrimp and cook until it just turns pink.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes, cook until fragrant, about a minute, and set the shrimp aside.
- Add the wine and lemon juice and simmer to reduce by half.
- Mix the shrimp, pan sauce, cream cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream, parsley, mozzarella and parmesan and pour it into a 2+ cup baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven until golden brown on top and bubbling on the sides, about 15-20 minutes.
Option: Top with 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs mixed with 2 tablespoons parmesan before baking for a crispy topping.
Option: Cook the shrimp and assemble the dip the night before and then bake it just before serving.