Just because it's winter doesn't mean that you can't have some tasty salads! This has to be one of my favourite winter salads using apples, pomegranate and kale, all of which are still readily available in the colder months. Kale makes a surprisingly good base for salads and when you pile on quality ingredients like apples, pomegranate, walnuts and feta things just keep getting better. I like to bulk this salad out with the addition of quinoa making it a nice light meal that is just packed with healthy ingredients. For the dressing I like to go with a simple maple dijon vinaigrette spiked with a touch of curry far a hint of the exotic that goes perfectly with apples.
Doesn't it look pretty all nicely arranged in the bowl? Of course you have to mix it all up at some point!
Apple and Pomegranate Quinoa and Kale Salad with Feta in a Curried Maple Dijon Dressing
A winter apple and kale salad with quinoa, pomegranate, feta and walnuts in a curried maple dijon vinaigrette.
- 1/3 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 cups kale, finely sliced
- 1 large apple, finely sliced or diced
- 1/4 cup pomegranate
- 1/4 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup feta, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring the quinoa and water to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the water is absorbed, about 15 minute, turn the heat off and let sit, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Toss the kale, quinoa, pomegranate, walnuts and feta with the mixture of the vinegar, oil, garlic, maple syrup, dijon mustard, curry powder, salt and pepper.
Option: If you have 1 cup of cooked quinoa on hand you can use it and skip step one.
Option: Replace the feta with aged white cheddar cheese or a mild blue cheese or goat cheese.
Option: Replace the walnuts with pecans.
Option: Omit the curry powder.
White Bean and Spinach Quinoa Salad with Bacon, Caramelized Onions, Mushrooms and Blue Cheese in a Bacon Pan Sauce Dressing
Strawberry BBQ Chicken Spinach and Quinoa Salad with Bacon, Avocado and Goat Cheese
Chipotle Roast Sweet Potato and Black Bean Quinoa Salad
Pomegranate Tabbouleh Salad
Pomegranate and Roasted Tomato Bulgur Salad
Roasted Butternut Squash and Pomegranate Salad
Roasted Eggplant, Red Pepper and Green Bean Pomegranate Salad