A while ago I was on a hummus kick and it reminded me of another great dip that is very similar, baba ghanoush. Baba ghanoush is a levantine dish made with grilled eggplant, tahini, lemon juice, garlic and salt which are basically the same ingredients in hummus replacing the chickpeas with roasted eggplant and that makes it a great, lighter alternative to hummus. Another great thing about baba ghanoush is how easy it is to make, you simply need to roast the eggplant and then puree it with the remaining ingredients and you are ready to dig in with pitas or crackers, etc. Baba ghanoush is commonly garnished with olive oil, parsley or cilantro and optionally chili powder. In addition to making a great dip baba ghanoush also makes a nice side dish or even a light meal and I enjoy having it for breakfasts along with whole wheat pitas.
Baba ghanoush is also great topped with pomegranate!
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 40 minutes Total Time: 45 minutes Servings: 8(~4 cups)
A light, tasty and healthy grilled eggplant dip or salad with tahini, lemon juice and salt.
- 2 medium eggplants (~2-3 pounds)
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (~1 lemon)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin, ground (optional)
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
- Prick the eggplants a few times with a fork, place on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 400F/200C oven until really tender, about 30-40 minutes.
- Cut the eggplants open, scoop out the flesh and puree in a ford processor along with the tahini, lemon juice, garlic, cumin and salt.
- Serve garnished with olive oil, chopped parsley and paprika.
Note: If you have a gas stove you can also grill the eggplant over an open flame at medium-high heat until the skin is charred and the inside is tender instead of baking it in the oven. Doing it this way adds a really nice smokiness to the baba ghanoush!
Tip: Best enjoyed while still warm, though it will keep for several days in the fridge.
Option: Serve topped with pomegranate and/or a drizzle of pomegranate molasses.
Option: Replace the parsley with cilantro or mint.