I am a huge fan of mushrooms and one of my favourite ways to enjoy them is in a cream of mushroom soup! The other day I found myself thinking that instead of using cream why not kick things up a bit and use brie to make the soup nice and creamy! I mean you really can't go wrong taking something that is already pretty amazing like a cream of mushroom soup and adding a nice cheese like brie! Of course I like to roast the mushrooms to caramelize them and bring out their flavour though they could just as easily be sauteed in the pan making this a one pot soup. After roasting the mushrooms you just need to throw them into the soup along with the brie and simmer for while before pureeing to the desired consistency. I have to say that this mushroom and brie soup is the best cream of mushroom soup that I have ever had and I will definitely be making it all the time from now on!
So creamy and good!
Creamy Roasted Mushroom and Brie Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 40 minutes Total Time: 50 minutes Servings: 4
A cream of mushroom soup with brie to make it extra creamy and good!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 1/2 pounds mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour (rice flour for gluten free)
- 1/2 cup white wine (or broth)
- 4 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 4 ounces brie, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup milk or heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toss the mushrooms in the oil, place on a baking sheet in a single layer and roast in a preheated 400F oven until they start to caramelize, about 20-30 minutes, mixing them up once in the middle.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan over medium heat, add the onions and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the wine and deglaze the pan.
- Add the broth and mushrooms, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the milk and brie, let the brie melt, fish out the rinds and season with salt and pepper to taste before pureeing to the desired consistency and enjoy!
Slow Cooker: Implement steps 1-4, place everything except the cream into the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-10 hours or on high for 4-6 hours before adding the cream and pureeing.
Option: Saute the mushrooms in a pan with the onions instead of roasting them.
Option: Add 2 tablespoons white miso.