This weekend is Mother's Day and over the next few days I will be trying out some new recipes for breakfast in bed for mom or a special brunch and up first is this sweet and savoury strawberry strata! (A strata is essentially a bread pudding where bread is soaked in a custard filling of milk and eggs and baked until it sets.) For this strata I was going for aspects of both sweet and savoury by combining strawberries with bacon and goat cheese. I start the recipe off with a loaf of King's Hawaiian Sweet Bread which is perfect as it's sweetness complements the strawberries! This recipe is super easy to make; once you have everything mixed up you simply need to bake it; anyone can make it for mom! The strata is finished off by topping it with fresh sliced strawberries and a balsamic syrup made by reducing balsamic vinegar and sugar until it thickens and it's sweetness and tartness perfectly complements the sweet and savoury strata.
"Go pupule" with King's Hawaiian Sweet Rolls!
What a tasty Spring brunch!
Strawberry, Bacon and Goat Cheese Strata with Balsamic Syrup
A sweet and savoury strawberry strata with bacon, goat cheese, pecans and a balsamic syrup.
- 1 loaf King's Hawaiian Hawaiian Sweet Bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 8 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 4 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Mix the bread, strawberries, goat cheese, bacon and pecans and place in a lightly grease baking dish.
- Mix the eggs, milk, honey, vanilla extract and nutmeg and pour it over the bread mixture in the baking dish making sure that all of the bread gets moist.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven until puffed and lightly golden brown, about 45 minutes, remove from oven and let cool.
- Meanwhile, simmer the balsamic vinegar and brown sugar over medium heat until it reduces and thickens, about 5 minutes, let it cool and then drizzle it over the strata when serving.
Option: Top with some fresh sliced strawberries and basil or mint.
Strawberry Bruschetta with Bacon, Candied Pecans and Goat Cheese with a Balsamic Drizzle
Strawberries and Cream Coffee Cake with Vanilla Cream Cheese Glaze
Strawberry and Mascarpone Stuffed French Toast
Strawberry Greek Yogurt Banana Bread
Strawberry BBQ Chicken Spinach and Quinoa Salad with Bacon, Avocado and Goat Cheese
Strawberry and Balsamic Grilled Chicken Salad
Strawberry BBQ Chicken Club Sandwich with Bacon, Avocado and Goat Cheese
Balsamic Strawberry and Chicken Pizza with Sweet Onions and Smoked Bacon
Strawberry Balsamic Grilled Chicken and Bacon Quesadillas