With the big game day approaching I have been thinking about snacks more. Last weekend I got the chance to try making an artichoke bread that has been on my mind for a while. The artichoke bread is essentially an artichoke dip that is baked on bread until the crust of the bread perfectly light and crispy, the dip is nice and warm, the cheesy topping is melted and golden brown. For the artichoke topping I decided to start with my favorite hot spinach and artichoke dip and I removed the spinach and tweaked it a bit. (You could of course leave the spinach in for a slightly healthier version.) For the bread I used a loaf of Italian style bread that I cut it in half lengthwise and then scooped out a bit of the center to provide room for more filling. The next challenge was baking the bread for long enough to heat up the artichoke dip so that all of the cheese in it melted without the crust of the bread burning. I decided that the best way to go about it was to cover the bread in foil while it warmed up and then to remove the foil near the end to let the cheese on top melt and turn golden brown. The artichoke bread turned out amazingly well! I used a nice fresh loaf of Italian bread so while the crust was light and crispy the inside was nice and soft and moist. The warm artichoke dip with the melted cheesy topping was so good and the fact the it was in the perfectly cooked bread made it even better!
Artichoke dip baked in a loaf of bread until ooey, gooey, cheesy, and good!
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese), grated
- 1 loaf Italian bread, sliced in half lengthwise (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- Mix the artichoke hearts, green onions, garlic, cream cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream, mozzarella and parmesan reserving some of the cheeses.
- Hollow 1/2 an inch out of the center of both halves of the bread.
- Spread the mixture into the holes in the bread slices and top with the reserved cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven,covered in foil, for 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil and continue to bake until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
Hot Spinach and Artichoke Dip
Hot Crab, Spinach and Artichoke Dip
Hot Caramelized Onion Dip
Portobello Mushrooms Stuffed with Spinach and Artichoke Dip
Agginaropita (Greek Artichoke Pie)
Shrimp Scampi Dip
Cajun Chicken Alfredo Dip
Cajun Shrimp and Andouille Cheese Dip
Buffalo Chicken French Bread
Slow Cooker Spinach and Artichoke Dip